Thursday, September 2, 2010

Debbie Reynolds Plays the CNE!?!?!?


Yes, entertainer Debbie Reynolds played the Canadian National Exhibition bandshell tonight. And if that fact alone wasn't shocking enough, it cost me all of $5 to see. There was a nice mix of old standards and Hollywood reminiscences to satisfy even the passing fan. While I enjoyed it, her performance just didn't have the zing I expected from an old showbiz pro.

To cut the lady some slack, Debbie Reynolds is 78 years old and the weather was crap. Except for the unfortunate foray into country music, she had a solid act. But I have a suspicion that the great Ms. Reynolds just phoned her performance in. I could almost hear her backstage after the final number saying: "Make the cheque payable to Debbie Reynolds, that's D-E-B-B......"

At one point Reynolds did a spot on impression of Marlene Dietrich, and in so doing called attention to Dietrich's limited vocal range. I'm going to lose my gay card for uttering this but, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. That might be unduly harsh, it may have just been an off night for her. And, for the purposes of full disclosure I did miss the opening of Reynolds act where she could have explained that she was suffering from flu or allergies.

Whatever the problem was, Debbie Reynolds looked FANTASTIC. I spent the show off to the side in the beer garden, but for her final number a bunch of people went to the front of the stage and I thought, what the heck. I wish I had brought my camera, instead you'll have to content yourselves with the blotchy iPhone 3G photo above.

No comments:

Post a Comment