Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A little snag...


Even if I haven't been posting, I'm still reading but I'm a little behind. By the end of May I should have read at least 4 novels and 2 books of short stories. I'll be lucky if I complete 3 books period. This is a failure of my own making and there is really nothing and no one to blame but my procrastination, YoVille and my tendencies toward obsessive compulsion.

I began reading before I completed all my Agatha Christie research and settling on a reading order. I started reading Murder on the Links only to discover that I should have read several short stories that were published after The Secret Adversary but before the second Poirot novel. The genie was already out of the bottle, I couldn't unread the first 8 chapters, but I decided to finalize at least the first 10 stories in the list. Gathering the raw data alone has been difficult. There is no way for me to know which were written first but the publication order seems to be a little less murky, even if there is a general lack of decisive information on the internet.

This is my reading order until I hit the snag of not having sourced the next set of short stories:

The Mysterious Affair at Styles
The Secret Adversary
"The Affair at the Victory Ball"
"The Jewel Robbery at the Grand Metropolitan or The Curious Disappearance of the Opalsen Pearls"
"The King of Clubs"
"The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim"
"The Plymouth Express"
"The Adventure of the Western Star"
"The Tragedy of Marsdon Manor"
"The Kidnapped Prime Minister"
Murder on the Links

Next on the agenda, sourcing a copy of While the Lights Last and Other Stories and The Harlequin Teaset

(I eventually found both While the Light Lasts and The Harlequin Teaset, only to discover in Canada they appear to be identical. Grrr)

No comments:

Post a Comment